Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here at Cruise 4 Cancer we combine your passion for cars and bikes with the evident necessity for Cancer Charity Funding.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Robs Honda CR-Z GT

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ginger Rob

Ginger Rob

Robs Honda CR-Z GT Empty
PostSubject: Robs Honda CR-Z GT   Robs Honda CR-Z GT EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 5:20 am

Here is the project thread for my Honda CR-Z.
I bought the car brand new in July 2010, the spec of the car from factory is :
CR-Z GT 1.5ltr IMA (intergrated motor assist) Hybrid
Dynamic pack
Glow Pack
17" Electra Alloys
Premium White Pearl Paint
The first mods that happened to the car was to change the interior yellow bulbs to LED lights to give the lovely white glow, I also changed the rear number plate lights to LED aswell for the high end look.
I also got hold of some silvertec indicator bulbs to get rid of the egg fried look, alot of the standard lights are LEDs which means less bulbs to buy lol.
The first time I owned it
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 72c5ed1b-1
This is the Hybrid system batteries
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 43bd7ff1
Once I got the car home I started to fit all my electronic gadgets, such as my iphone cradle, Road angel with laser detector and my DAB radio, I have now removed the DAB radio as I wasn't really using it as I tend to use the iPod.
I hid a 12v multi-socket behind the dash so that I didn't have to cut into the vehicles wiring and run the risk of any electrical problems later along.
I have also bought a few little things for the car such as a spare tyre kit as it only came with an inflation kit aswell as a boot liner.
I have also recently bought some Password:JDM goodies for the car such as PW:JDM gearknob, numberplate surrounds and my Rock Paper Shocker t-shirt lol.
When the goodies arrived from the USA
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 46a2b97e
Robs Honda CR-Z GT F263669a
My new gear knob, following the blue theme for the interior of the CR-Z
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 620d4296
Fitted to the car:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 2837bf2a
Next on my list was to replace the boring standard reflectors on the back of the car with LED light units, a company in Japan makes replacement light units that forfil my need for light, the great thing with them is that they have a sidelight function and a brake light function so are really cool, the only un cool bit was the wiring in to CR-Z, I printed off the diagrams from Honda and the colours wernt as straight forward as i thought that it would be; but I tackled through it, shown below are various pictures through the build, from custom making of the looms and fitment into the bumper.
Removal of parts:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 182beaa3
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 2ec4cd7f
Naked Bum:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 8dd014fa
1 light unit installed:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 6b4d20f3
Making of the loom for the rear bumper:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT F0ce5ca6
Loom finished on the bumper:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 517e0cf6
Time to fit the loom to the CR-Z, I decided to use the grommet that has the loom for the rear parking sensors and the number plate lights.
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 2fbeda0b
Test Time (in these pics it only shows the side lights):
In the workshop:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 8226eedb
At night:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 1fad1784
Next came time to fit the "Shiney" parts, this consisted of a HKS suction reload kit - Goodbye standard air filter.
The engine bay prior to HKS:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 11+CRZ+Edmunds+engine+04
First of all was removal of all the Honda parts, to get the resonance chamber off the vehicle, i had to do a lot of swearing as it was buried the wrong side of a chassis leg, so this mean half the bumper was off and the N/S/F arch liner was adjusted via a lever bar, then it came out.
The parts surplus to requirement:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT Fe6cfc10
Also in the process of removing the front bumper I decided to loose the front number plate to clean the look of the car up.
Now with the shiney parts installed:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 79782298
The only part I am missing is the engine plate that unfortunatly was damaged in transit, so HKS are sending another one over. Finally the plate arrived so without any wait it was fitted :-)
Robs Honda CR-Z GT HKS%20CRZ%20Racing%20Suction%20Kit
After the Suction Reload was fitted I decided to fit the Mugen side skirts.
Before:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT HONDA-CRZ-side-650x433
As you can see the standard skirts are very rounded and have a "soft" look
Now with the old skirts removed
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 5f579d03
They were a little filthy lol
Now the naked car all cleaned as some minor mods were needed
Robs Honda CR-Z GT D7e781d3
The black circles are stickers that come in the kit to cover the original locating holes
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 47dab38d
Side skirts fitted
Robs Honda CR-Z GT Ff885add
As well as upgrading the side skirts I decided the wheels could do with a change, so I found a set of nearly new Championship White alloys off the FN2 Civic Type R, these were only fitted to a limited range of civic type r's as these were the first civic to feature a LSD as standard, most of the new generation of civics feature the LSD as standard now. I also fitted some tyre pressure warning sensors which monitor temp of the tyre and the pressure, yes it's a gimmick but I like it.
Robs Honda CR-Z GT B1892e25
After these I had the Mugen bug lol so I got another sweat band for the brake fluid and I got the front spoiler, Mugen had 1 in White in stock so I treated my self also I was fitting it to a brand new front bumper as mum managed to scrape mine when parking her car.
It arrived, it was so hot it needed venterlation
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 794e7697
On the way home, who said the crz was small inside, the day before it had the new front bumper in there
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 178dc1c8
I borrowed my Nan and Grandads lounge to assemble the new addition, the food service is great they supply me with bacon sarnies and cups of tea
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 1df9d816
Front with out the bumper
Robs Honda CR-Z GT C5feb385
Spot the difference
Robs Honda CR-Z GT C12787eb
Good bye old bumper - my Grandad had great fun in using his cutter on this
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 683869a1
This is the front grills that are intergrated in the Mugen front lip
Robs Honda CR-Z GT D18bcf8a
This is it fitted with the lights on and off
Robs Honda CR-Z GT A116a7ca
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 4f291103
Now I had some extra Mugen goodies turn up at work, I had ordered the rear diffuser to finish off the kit, aswell as 2 metal Mugen badges and a carbon fibre mirror cover.
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 7e410b5e
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 96e667ae
As work finished it was time to open my presents
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 0df05ef6
This shows the detail in the grills
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 576ba1d1
Robs Honda CR-Z GT E8deca8d
Now it was time to take the bum off the CR-Z again (I'm getting quite good at this now)
Robs Honda CR-Z GT E78b743d
Old lined up against the new
Robs Honda CR-Z GT Bb8af132
Now was the worring bit i had to drill the diffuser to fit my extra lights (was kinda dreading this bit)
Robs Honda CR-Z GT F6be062a
Now fitted and relax
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 4926576e
Current bumper with the old diffuser removed, the 2 white bits that stick down i had to cut off the bumper so the new bit would fit
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 7e4e3d02
Before:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 32fba1c1
and after:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 64c1f808
The side profile
Robs Honda CR-Z GT D0c991af
Fully fitted
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 8df66b2b
And with the extra lights
Robs Honda CR-Z GT Ef971586

These are the other Mugen extras i bought, 2 Mugen badges (yes they are real)
Robs Honda CR-Z GT A91a732f

Aligning on the car
Robs Honda CR-Z GT C9f24db4

Fully fitted
Robs Honda CR-Z GT Db4a2bfd

My Mugen Carbon Fibre interior mirror cover
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 96e7fdd5

The weave
Robs Honda CR-Z GT Ab70e1d9

Robs Honda CR-Z GT D2fd8132

Next it was time to take the car to TDI over at Thurrock where the very knowledgable guys and girls invited me to have the CR-Z fast road setup, first of all we was trying the adjustable camber bolts to see what the standard setup was like without upgrading the springs etc.

This is the car fitted with the adjustable bolts on the front allowing TDI to get the camber setup so that there is more of the tyre incontact with the ground:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z034

Getting the car all setup:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z019
Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z028

Once it was all adjusted it was time to take the car out with one of the Prodrive trained staff from TDI, the turn in was vastly improved and the overall stability was improved aswell.

Next on the list was to check what the car was producing with different mods, as I already had fitted the HKS suction reload, it was time for this to come off and return back to the standard airbox, as we was testing the car to see what it was like in standard guise.

In the picture below you can see the wheels on the front have been removed and the adapters for the hub dyno have been fitted (also you can see myself breaking out the virginal air filter), the great thing with a hub dyno is that it is more acurate and it doesnt put your tyres under extreme stress when having the car on a rolling road type dyno, find more info [URL="https://www.tdi-plc.com/index.php?pge=C_dynocam"]here[/URL]
Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z052

The next thing was to fit the Rototest Dyno's, these go where the wheels do and the fans at the side of the dyno room are powered by the dyno's going round aswell as having a massive fan in the middle all for providing enough air for the cars
Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z069

Now the car was all ready
Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z062
Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z074

The car before the run has its oil and water levels checked and once this is done and the computer is all setup, then the car is run at a low speed with a set of headphones bolted to the engine block, the noise of the engine is checked for any underliying issuses when it gets the green light then its on to check the power that the car is producing; Being a hybrid we wanted to flatten the assistance batteries so that we could see the actual "mechanical" HP rather than seeing what the car produces with the batteries.
Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z065
Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z063
Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z067
Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z070

Next it was time to fit the HKS shiney bits on the car, we first of all fitted the HKS suction reload to see the differences that this made..(hp wise and atheticts wise)
Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z089

After the tests were done, it was time to get the car out of the dyno and let the exhaust cool so that we could change it for a nice new shiney number made by HKS, this is the HKS Silent Power, its a rear box and centre pipe.
Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z097-1

This is the original pipe thats fitted to the CR-Z, doesnt it look so nice:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z093

Here is Matt from TDI, helping to remove the ghastly old pipe and fitting the shiney new one
Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z098

Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z102

Next it was time for the car to go back in the Dyno and see how the mods work together

Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z107

With all the mods done, it was time to break the back outside and see how it sounded, with the suction reload and the silent power exhaust the torque and hp is up and the exhuast note is great, its quite when you need it to be, but when your putting your foot down, the burble and noise as you go round the rev range is great, not what you would expect from a CR-Z

Robs Honda CR-Z GT CR-Z047

The next mod in the line up was to get a Seilbon C/F bonnet, I was weary at first because of what would it be like, will i have to mod the car much, will it fit (this was one of the reasons i went with a mugen bodykit - becuase the fit it faultless), well the bonnet came thatsnks to Cheryl at TDI and it was basically take the old one off and fit the new one
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 25809b1f

This is a close up of the weave
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 14f1f5e5
Robs Honda CR-Z GT Ce95ff25

Next it was time for some more playing with the chassis thanks to TDI and Eibachs, this time it was time to get the Eibach Pro Kit fitted, this is a set of progressive springs that lower the vehicle by about an inch (2.5cms). The great thing with the kit is that you can use the standard factory dampers, which mean when you are modding on a budget then these are an ideal way to create a dramatic look and get the wheel to fill the arch and improve the handling, we also adjusted the camber bolts as the ride height had been lowered.
Robs Honda CR-Z GT IMG_7122small

Fitting the Kit
Robs Honda CR-Z GT IMG_7107small

Now time to adjust the camber bolts
Robs Honda CR-Z GT IMG_7180

The new stance on the car
Robs Honda CR-Z GT IMG_7197
Robs Honda CR-Z GT IMG_7199small

Since the kit has been fitted the stabillity of the vehicle has been vastly improved, the turn in on the corners is alot better, aswell as the road holding under all driving is brilliant, I was quite suprised how much improvement just a spring kit can have, the great thing with only lovering the vehicle by an inch is that the ground clerance is still fine, I havent scraped over any speed bumps yet, although I am very careful.

The next mods are minor in comparison to the springs, but I have the full JDM bug (or bird flu), a few months ago I purchased a Password:JDM number plate frame, but I hadn't found some to make the number plate how i wanted it, but recently at a car show, I spoke to a number plate maker and with a set of Mugen number plate bolts this was created
Robs Honda CR-Z GT F56badf9
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 7c325cb3

and fitted:
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 1ed07ee2

Everyone has there own views but i like it.
More JDM stuff, from Honda Japan
Robs Honda CR-Z GT D73f5822
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 745c4e62

The next mod again from Honda Japan was some official side wind deflectors, I had a set of the Heko deflectors and there is no comparison, the Honda kit is well worth the money, the great thing is that they dont really show but anyone with a CR-Z will know that they are a must as if there is any water on the outside of the will know it likes to run straight in the open window and on to the window control panel.
Robs Honda CR-Z GT Ac7022ac

The latest item to arrive from the USA was a de-cat pipe to remove the second cat, the great thing we learnt when fitting the HKS exhaust was that the sensor for the cat was before the 2nd cat so that means that it can be removed without having to worry about the dreaded EML light - WHOOP, I am aiming to get it fitted when I am at work tomorrow, here is the lovely item (it came with a new gasket and a nut and bolt set.
Robs Honda CR-Z GT Acbecc24
Robs Honda CR-Z GT Fdbdc919
Robs Honda CR-Z GT 5cd6f4ed

Well after a day of getting rained on and sqeezing under the car without lifts or air tools, the car has been removed and the de-cat fitted.
Robs Honda CR-Z GT Cat

The exhaust note has picked up a tone and it sounds a long way from when it was running the standard exhaust, the interesting thing will be at the TDI dyno day to see if it has increased the HP and Torque.

So currently its a thumbs up from me, also thanks to my nan and grandad for suppling me with bacon sarnies.

****NOW ON HONDAS WEBSITE****

Honda Stories

WHOOP!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Keep an eye out for more to come

If you like the parts you see here, they can be sourced through Cheryl at TDI at Thrurrock (say you saw Rob's CR-Z thread): 01708 866609

If you want to mod a car I would always recommend that you ask people in the know, I have had a great amount of support from the people at TDI and there extensive knowledge and guidence is greatfully recieved

Last edited by Ginger Rob on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:17 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
Nick
Admin
Nick

Robs Honda CR-Z GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Robs Honda CR-Z GT   Robs Honda CR-Z GT EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 10:03 am

Awsome thread mate and as you know i love your Honda. Cant wait to hear which exhaust you choose Question And the front and side skirts set it off.

P.s bring that mag along to Cornbury as id like to have a little look Smile

Thanks
Nick
Back to top Go down
http://www.cruise4cancer.com
Georgia

Georgia

Robs Honda CR-Z GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Robs Honda CR-Z GT   Robs Honda CR-Z GT EmptyFri May 06, 2011 7:42 pm

This is great! Smile thanks roblet flower
Back to top Go down
http://www.cruise4cancer.com
Ginger Rob

Ginger Rob

Robs Honda CR-Z GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Robs Honda CR-Z GT   Robs Honda CR-Z GT EmptyMon May 09, 2011 12:59 am

New Mugen stuff added
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Robs Honda CR-Z GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: Robs Honda CR-Z GT   Robs Honda CR-Z GT Empty

Back to top Go down

Robs Honda CR-Z GT
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Supporters Section :: Projects-
Jump to: